Sodium hyaluronate 0.3%, a higher concentration for sustained effect in the relief of sensations of ocular dryness
- VISMED® GEL provides increased relief from subjective symptoms of ocular dryness, in terms of peak effect and duration of action, compared with both saline (0.9% NaCl) and less viscous solutions of SH in patients with symptoms of moderate intensity.1
- VISMED® GEL also demonstrated improvements in non-invasive break-up time (NIBUT) over saline and less concentrated solutions of SH due to its prolonged residence time, ensuring tear film integrity and stability over the eye surface.
|VISMED® GEL improves symptom intensity more
effectively than saline2
||VISMED® GEL lengthens tear film NIBUT more
effectively than saline2
- A low contact angle provides greater coatability. The balance of molecular weight and concentration of SH in VISMED® GEL ensures that a low angle of contact is achieved on the corneal surface. Thus, VISMED® GEL spreads effectively over the surface of the cornea to provide a protective coating.
- SH 0.3% has been shown to increase the thickness of the tear film more efficiently than buffer solution, offering increased protection from sensations of ocular dryness.3
|0.3% SH protects from sensations of ocular dryness.
Adapted from Snibson et al. 19903
- VISMED® GEL is preservative-free, avoiding potentially toxic or allergic reactions that have been associated with some preservative agents.1
- VISMED® GEL is hypo-osmolar (150 mOsm/L) relative to natural tears, counteracting the hypertonicity associated with ocular dryness that has been implicated in ocular surface damage.4,5 Click here for more information on the hypotonicity of VISMED® eye drops.
- VISMED® GEL’s unique patented formula combines SH with the essential ions found in natural tears that are required to maintain healthy corneal function.1,6
|Cell adhesion, cell junctions and cellular transport
||Maintenance of corneal thickness
- The pH of VISMED® GEL is adjusted to 7.3 – similar to that of the natural tear film.
VISMED® GEL contains 0.3% sodium hyaluronate and is presented as lubricant eye drops in 2 ways:
- boxes of 20 preservative-free, sterile single dose units, or
- 10ml preservative-free multi-dose syste
Click here for more details on VISMED® GEL single dose units, and click here to read more about VISMED® GEL MULTI.
1. Reddy IK et al. In: Reddy K (ed). Ocular therapeutics and drug delivery. A multidisciplinary approach. Basel: Technomic Publications, 1996: 171–211.
2. TRB Chemedica: Data on file.
3. Snibson GR et al. Eye 1990; 4: 594–602.
4. Aragona et al. Br J Ophthalmol 2002; 86: 879–84.
5. Gilbard JP, Kenyon KR. Ophthalmology 1985; 92: 646–50.
6. Green K et al. Ophthalmic Res 1992; 24: 99–102.