Sodium hyaluronate 0.18%, with proven efficacy
- VISMED® has demonstrated better relief than saline in both intensity and frequency of symptoms in patients with moderate sensations of ocular dryness.1
- A single drop of VISMED® increases break-up time (TBUT) of the prelens tear film for up to 4 hours in patients with sensations of ocular dryness due to contact lens wear.1 VISMED® demonstrated effectiveness in stabilizing the prelens tear film leading to improved comfort.
- VISMED® relieves symptom intensity and frequency in patients with moderate ocular dryness.1
- A single drop of VISMED® effectively increases tear film TBUT.1
|VISMED® relieves symptom intensity and frequency
in patients with moderate ocular dryness
A single drop of VISMED® effectively increases
tear film TBUT1
- VISMED® accelerates the healing of corneal abrasions. A study showed that VISMED® decreased lissamine green staining in patients with moderate symptoms of ocular dryness, demonstrating improved corneal and conjunctival protection compared with saline.1
- VISMED® has been specially formulated to provide a low contact angle on the corneal surface, thus ensuring an effective coating of the cornea.
|VISMED® accelerates the healing of corneal abrasions
| Angle of contact (α)
- VISMED® does not contain preservatives that have been demonstrated to cause toxic or allergic reactions in some patients.2,3
- Tear osmolarity in healthy eyes is ~300 mOsm/L. In patients with sensations of ocular dryness, tear osmolarity is typically as high as 340 mOsm/L and has been associated with damage to the corneal epithelium.4,5 VISMED® is formulated to be hypotonic (150 mOsm/L) and, therefore, rapidly counteracts tear hypertonicity experienced with sensations of ocular dryness. Click here for more information on the hypotonicity of VISMED® eye drops.
- VISMED® contains similar concentrations of essential ions to those found in natural tears – calcium and magnesium are important in cell adhesion, cell junctions and cellular transport, and potassium contributes to the maintenance of corneal thickness.2,6
- VISMED® patented formulations contain sufficient sodium citrate to maintain the phosphate and calcium ions in solution and therefore prevent corneal calcification due to precipitation of calcium phosphate.7
- VISMED® is adjusted to a physiological pH of 7.3.
VISMED® contains 0.18% sodium hyaluronate and is presented as lubricant eye drops in 2 ways:
- boxes of 20 preservative-free, sterile single dose units, or
- 10ml preservative-free multi-dose system
Click here for more details on VISMED® single dose units, and click here to read more about VISMED® MULTI.
1. TRB Chemedica: Data on file.
2. Reddy IK et al. In: Reddy K (ed). Ocular therapeutics and drug delivery. A multidisciplinary approach. Basel: Technomic Publications, 1996: 171-211.
3. Furrer P et al. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 1999; 47: 105–112.
4. Gilbard JP, Kenyon KR. Ophthalmology 1985; 92: 646–50.
5. Gilbard JP et al. Ophthalmology 1984; 91: 1205–12.
6. Green K et al. Ophthalmic Res 1992; 24: 99–102.
7. Aleo D, Bossy L. Considerations on the risk of precipitation of calcium phosphate salts following the use of Vismed® (0.18% SH) formulation. Poster presented at the ISOPT 2008.